What are the qualities that make one “a man after God’s own heart?”
“A man after God’s own heart” was said about David the prophet. Let’s examine his attributes to know how he pleased God.
- David was a man of prayer “Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, and He shall hear my voice.” (Ps 55:17)
- He loved to praise God “Seven times a day I praise You, because of Your righteous judgments” (Ps 119:164). “I will sing to the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.” (Ps 104:33)
- David loved the Word of God “How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth” (Ps 119:103). “My eyes are awake through the night watches that I may meditate on Your Word.” (Ps 119:148)
- He loved to meditate on God’s works, precepts and majesty and witnessed to God “When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches” (Ps 63:6). “I will also meditate on all Your work, And talk of Your deeds” (Ps 77:12) also (Ps 119:15, 27, 48; Ps 145:5)
- He shielded himself from mingling with the wrong crowd and hated wickedness (Ps 101).
- His repentance was very strong (Psalm 50).
These are only some of David’s qualities that made him deserve to be called ‘A man after God’s own heart’.